Video highlight from Monday night on ESPN: LeBron James of the Miami Heat dunks on Jason Terry of the Boston Celtics in an NBA game that generated more than a million mentions across social media.
Sex sells: True or false? We heartily cast our vote with the former and lead off today’s daily report with Wired‘s look at sex, TV ratings and social.
With last night’s snowfall melting in New York, we are planning tonight’s TV watching by looking at what the critics at USA Today, LA Times and NY Times are picking. Think we will check out Justin Timberlake.
Last night, Dancing With the Stars was the top social TV show on broadcast, but paled next to the social buzz generated by the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics on ESPN with a half-million people generating more than a million comments. LeBron James led the Heat to its 23rd straight win.
Check out these stories, including our daily look at the Latin market, and so much more in our daily roundup of news articles for Social TV industry pros.
Just click the link and tell us what you think. We are @socialtvdaily on Twitter and Facebook.com/socialtvdaily.
- The Nielsen Family Is Dead
Wired takes a long look at the new TV and ratings. And sex.
- Sex, Twitter and Math — Not Ratings —Are Making TV Smarter
Kyle Wagner determines: Sex can actually make a show smarter, and not into a dumb, least common denominator.
TV Last Night
The season premiere of ABC’s Dancing With the Stars on Monday night generated 281,000 social mentions on Twitter, Facebook, GetGlue and Viggle to lead broadcast TV programming, Trendrr reported this morning. ESPN’s broadcast of the Miami Heat at Boston Celtics led cable with more than a million comments generated by 481,000 people. RAW on USA was third overall with 275,000 comments.
See Trendrr’s chart http://trendrr.com/tv/
Critics’ Picks for TV Tonight
- USA Today picks: Justin Timberlake special, New Girl http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/03/19/bianco-critics-corner-march-19/1996609/
- NYTimes, via Seattle Times: Splash on ABC http://seattletimes.com/html/television/2020589957_tvpicks19xml.html?prmid=head_main
- LA Times: Tina Fey on Inside the Actors Studio on Bravo http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-tuesdays-tv-highlights-inside-the-actors-studio-on-bravo-20130318,0,3612384.story
- ‘Good Wife,’ ‘Apprentice’ and ’60 Minutes’ Hold Steady on Slipping Sunday
CBS led the night with adults 18-49 (1.7 rating) and total viewers (9.4 million) on Sunday night.
- Sunday Cable Ratings: ‘The Walking Dead’ Wins Night
The Walking Dead was Sunday’s top cable original with a 5.5 adults 18-49 rating down from last week’s 5.7. The Bible came in second with a 2.8, up from from last week’s 2.5 adults 18-49 rating.
Dune HD, Beenius Broaden Partnership
Dune HD will showcase its new range of advanced set-top boxes, available pre-loaded with the Beenius Beesmart interactive TV middleware platform. The latter features upgraded social TV functions.
More Proof That Television Advertising Is Alive and Well
Steve Olenski, writing on the Forbes site, makes his case for the vitality of TV advertising.
- Intel MSRD Set-Top Box Detailed: Motion-Remote and Second-Screen Grunt
Intel’s Web TV set-top box will use a motion-tracking remote control, it’s been confirmed, with the chip firm turning to LG-favorite Hillcrest Labs for the tech. The new Intel Media Server Reference Design (MSRD), set to go on sale in April as the company tries to tempt content providers and OEMs to its Atom CE5300 multimedia chipset, will use Hillcrest’s Freespace Motion Engine for navigating menus by waving a remote in mid-air.
- Changhong Integrates Flingo’s Interactive TV Platform Within Its Smart TVs
(RELEASE) China’s Changhong today announced a partnership with Flingo to integrate Samba interactive TV platform into the Changhong line of Smart TVs.
- NCAA Tournament 2013 TV Schedule: First Four Games Start Tuesday
Television coverage of the games will be provided on truTV, with Marv Albert and Steve Kerr calling the action. You’ll be forgiven if this is the first time in your life you’ve heard of truTV.
Read the article via SB Nation http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/3/19/4120104/2013-ncaa-tournament-tv-schedule
- Good Sign for NASCAR. Big Ten Helps Boost CBS. Down Day for NBA. Missing Kentucky.
- (Release) MLB: Fans in Puerto Rico glued to television as team secures first berth in World Baseball Classic championship
Puerto Rico’s stunning upset of two-time defending World Baseball Classic Champion Japan on Monday night in San Francisco drew a massive television audience back home. The Semi-Final game — broadcast in Puerto Rico on MLB Network, ESPN Deportes and local station Telemundo WKAQ — averaged a combined 24.2 household rating and 48 share (percentage of viewers whose television was on).
- Univision Seeks Director, Social Media – News
Job advertisement on LinkedIn
Social TV Daily publishes a daily roundup of news articles across the Internet. Excerpts are drawn from the content and full URLs are included.